[Sportsandrec] FW: Athlete Information for 4th IBSA World Championships and Games

Christella Garcia christellablue at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 01:05:22 UTC 2010

  _____

From: United States Association of Blind Athletes [mailto:etap at usaba.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:51 PM
To: Christella Garcia
Subject: Athlete Information for 4th IBSA World Championships and Games

 USABA Logo
<http://content.delivra.com/etapcontent//UnitedStatesAssociationofB/exciting
%20piece%20logo.JPG>

July 13, 2010
Dear USABA Athlete:

The U.S. Association of Blind Athletes will represent the USA in the 4th
IBSA World Championships and Games to be held in Antalya, Turkey, April
1-10, 2011. We are assembling a team of athletes to participate in the
sports of Judo, Swimming, Powerlifting, Track and Field.  The men's National
goalball team will also participate in that sport.   Approximately 1,200
blind and visually impaired athletes are expected in compete in this
prestigious event, which will serve as a Paralympic Games qualifier for many
sports.
The event website is:  http://www.ibsaworldgames2011.com/En/Default.aspx
<http:///> .  Click on the British flag for English test.  Note that only
the welcome letter is currently provided in English.

We anticipate there will be minimum athlete qualification standards
established by the Local Organizing Committee for Swimming and Track and
Field.  We do not know what those standards are at this time and are working
with the organizing committee to obtain them and pass them to you.   If you
intend to compete in Swimming or Track and Field you will be required to
achieve the Local Organizing Committee's minimum standard in a USA
sanctioned Swim or Track and Field meet.  The USABA will select the team for
Powerlfting using USABA Powerlifting qualification standards (available on
the USABA website) and will work with USA Judo to select a team for Judo
using selection criteria established by USA Judo.

The approximate cost for each athlete to attend this event will be $3100.
This amount will include all entry and capitation fees, room and board,
airfare, required medical insurance coverage and uniforms.  USABA is working
to secure funding to help lower defray some of your costs.  By November 1,
we will provide you what your cost will be and what contribution USABA will
be able to provide.  Because the fees are high, it is important you start
any personal fund raising now in the event outside funding does not become
available.

In addition to a valid passport, Turkey requires all U.S. visitors to have a
travel Visa, the cost for a 90 day visa will be $20 and available upon
arrival in Turkey.  Visa cost will be the traveler's responsibility.
Refer to the following website for additional information:
http://turkey.usembassy.gov/visa_requirements.html

If you are interested in participating, please let us know by completing the
attached form.  <http:///>

If you have any additional questions please feel free to call me via email:
jpotts at usaba.org  Best wishes for success as you qualify for Team USA!

Sincerely,

John Potts
Sports Director

  USABA Logo
<http://content.delivra.com/etapcontent//UnitedStatesAssociationofB/exciting
%20piece%20logo.JPG>

INTENT TO PARTICIPATE CHECKLIST

I recently received USABA's July 15, 2010 letter informing me of the 2011
IBSA World Championships and Games.  Based on the information in that
letter, I want to state my intent to be considered for Team USA.  I am
providing the following information to help USABA plan for team entry, team
planning and fundraising purposes and I understand my actual selection will
be based on qualification and selection criteria to be provided in the
future.

NAME*

DATE OF BIRTH *

EMAIL ADDRESS: *

PHONE NUMBER:  *

I AM A US CITIZEN:  YES*       NO*

I AM A CURRENT USABA MEMBER:  YES*       NO*

I WOULD LIKE TO COMPETE IN (SELECT ONE BELOW):

JUDO: *

POWERLIFTING:  *

SWIMMING:  *

TRACK AND FIELD:  *

I AM CURRENTLY TRAINING IN MY SPORT OF CHOICE:  YES *        NO*

Please email this form to USABA Sports Director, John Potts,
jpotts at usaba.org by
September 1, 2010.  You may also mail the form to:

JOHN POTTS
USABA Sports Director
1101 High Valley Lane
Belleville, IL 62221

Remove
<https://atl.etapestry.com/prod/optOut.do?principleRef=1726.0.148637&email=c
hristellablue%40gmail.com&databaseId=UnitedStatesAssociationofB&jobRef=1026.
0.128194619> my name from all future email correspondence

Address postal inquiries to:
United States Association of Blind Athletes
33 North Institute St
Colorado Springs, CO 80903