[Sportsandrec] FW: USABA to Host Cycling Camp for Riders with Disabilities

Christella Garcia christellablue at gmail.com
Sat May 15 04:56:38 UTC 2010

  _____

From: United States Association of Blind Athletes [mailto:etap at usaba.org]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2010 1:49 PM
To: Christella Garcia
Subject: USABA to Host Cycling Camp for Riders with Disabilities

 USABA Breaking News Banner
<http://content.delivra.com/etapcontent//UnitedStatesAssociationofB/USABA_Br
eaking%20News%20Banner.jpg>

"Learn To Race" Cycling Camp to Be Offered to Riders with Disabilities
Military Service members with eye injuries and physical disabilities
included as a part of rehabilitation process

(Colorado Springs, Colorado) - Monday, May 17 through Sunday, May 23, 2010
the United States Association of Blind Athletes (USABA), is hosting a
Development Cycling Camp for Riders with Disabilities at the U.S. Olympic
Training Center in Colorado Springs, CO. Partnering organizations include
U.S. Paralympics, U.S. Hand Cycling, and Disabled Sports USA.

"I competed in 10 Ironman triathlons prior to my accident" said former
California Highway Patrol Officer Anthony Pedeferri (Camarillo, CA.) who
sustained a completely severed spinal cord.  I would like to begin racing
and participating in various hand-cycling events on a regular basis.  If my
ability develops, I would someday like to participate in the National
Championships, World's and hopefully the Paralympics.  If I lack the
ability, I would still enjoy racing and participating at any level".

Cyclists with physical disabilities and sensory impairments will learn
advanced bike handling skills and road racing strategies.  Instruction in
track riding is also provided to the 22 participating athletes including
blind and visually impaired cyclists and their sighted pilots, who ride
tandem bikes; cyclists with lower mobility impairments, who use hand cycles;
cyclists with cerebral palsy or head injury who use both standard bikes and
amputee cyclists who ride either single bikes or hand cycles. Veterans and
active duty service members who sustained physical and sensory disabilities
as a result of service in Operation Iraqi Freedom or Operation Enduring
Freedom are participating in the camp including SPC Steven Baskis (Forest
Park, IL), U.S. Army active duty who sustained shrapnel injuries to his
eyes, upper and lower extremities in an IED attack in Iraq.

"This is an outstanding opportunity for cyclists who want to increase their
riding knowledge and experience. We will also identify athletes who will go
on and compete for the United States in future regional and national events,
and for some, the Paralympic Games", said Mark Lucas, Executive Director of
the U.S. Association of Blind Athletes.

Athletes attending will ride twice per day participating in skill drills,
practicing safe riding techniques and competing in race simulations. "We
will network athletes into their local riding and racing communities and
provide participants a schedule of future race opportunities," said Pam
Fernandes, camp coordinator and Paralympic medalist.

 USABA Logo
<http://content.delivra.com/etapcontent//UnitedStatesAssociationofB/exciting
%20piece%20logo.JPG>

The United States Association of Blind Athletes enhances the lives of blind
and visually impaired people by providing the opportunity for participation
in sports and physical activity. Additional funding to the camp for military
applicants is available through USABA's Mission Vision program:
http://www.usaba.org.

 US Handcycling Logo
<http://content.delivra.com/etapcontent//UnitedStatesAssociationofB/ushf_log
o.JPG>

United States Handcycling Federation, Inc. is a non-profit corporation
designed to create integrated cycling opportunities for wheelchair users and
athletes with lower-mobility impairments:  http://www/ushf.org

 DSUSA Logo
<http://content.delivra.com/etapcontent//UnitedStatesAssociationofB/DSUSA%20
Color%202%20x%202-600dpi.JPG>

Disabled Sports USA providess the opportunity for individuals with
disabilities to gain confidence and dignity through participation in sports,
recreation and related educational programs:  http://www.dsusa.org

US Paralympics,a division of the US Olympic Committee is dedicated to
becoming the world leader in the Paralympic sports movement and promoting
excellence in the lives of people with physical disabilities.
http://www.usparalympics.org
Remove
<https://atl.etapestry.com/prod/optOut.do?principleRef=1726.0.148637&email=c
hristellablue%40gmail.com&databaseId=UnitedStatesAssociationofB&jobRef=1026.
0.76695559> my name from all future email correspondence

Address postal inquiries to:
United States Association of Blind Athletes
33 North Institute St
Colorado Springs, CO 80903