[Sportsandrec] Anyone Have Experience with Crossfit?

Bill Kociaba williamkociaba at comcast.net
Fri Dec 30 11:46:31 UTC 2011

Hi Tai,
Alot is going to depend on your age and current condition.  If you are in
good shape and active Cross Fit could be great for you.  However if you are
older(40+) (and that is not old as I am 52) and haven't been real active it
might be too much forr you.  It is great real world strength training but it
is also VERY VERY hard on your joints.Olympic lifting for example is a
fantastic strength builder as well as being great for coordination, balance
etc but done in the Cross Fit manner of high reps its really rough on your
joints. If you are 20-30 thats fine but if you are older and have an knee or
shoulder or back issues, its gonna tear you up.
I am offering my thoughts as a former gym owner and personal trainer of
close to 30 years.
Now onto the question of the trainers and the gyms themselves.  That one is
going to be different from gym to gym.  There are thousands of trainers
around.  Some great, some that have no idea what they are doing and some
that have a half an idea.  I went into the local Cross Fit gym a few months
ago thinking I wanted to try something a bit different for a while as my
regular weight training and cardio program was just getting stale.  I guess
I was in a rut and needed new stimulation and new ideas. I was told that
everything was done in a class structure and if I reqquired additional
personal instruction it would cost $xxx per session. I was also told that I
would have to take a six  class orientation program with other new clients
to learn the movements in a small group environment so I could take the
regular classes.  In other words its all based on group classes and if you
can't follow along you are stuck.  I am not new to weight training  by any
means but really doubted I could follow along without some extra help in the
beginning...and that was going to cost.  And the place wasn't cheap.
Learning to do Olympic lifts like the snatch and clean and jerk without a
lot of personal instruction will be very hard.  Not impossable if you are
lucky enough to hook up with some people who want to be helpful  but it
won't be easy.  I am not trying to sound negative.  There is a lot of
bennifet both cardio wise and strength wise in that way of training.  In
some ways its a throw back to old time strength training.  Carrying sand
bags, pushing sleds etc.  If you can learn the movements and its not too
hard on your joints you will get leaner, stronger and in better cardio
condition in less time  than just about any other program around.  Oh and
the last point I didn't like was the cost. $120 per month!  And they wanted
a years committement.
If you follow through with it I would love to talk with you about how it
goes.  It might be that I just went into the wrong gym and it might go much
differently for you.
If you like you can contact me directly at williamkociaba at comcast.net.
Have a fantastic new year.
Bill