[Sportsandrec] Whitewater Kayaking?

Audrey Farnum atfarnum at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 12:30:58 UTC 2011

Roger, Rowing is a completely different deal than what she is asking
about. Jessica, I'm a blind rower and I've done recreational kayaking,
but never white water. I don't know anyone who does it but that's very
cool. I'd be interested to hear about what alternative techniques, etc
you use. I'm particularly interested in how you deal with orientation
and steering. I think it sounds fun but I'm pretty sure I'd end up
splattered on a rock. When I've kayaked, I go with other kayakers who
give me verbal directions to keep me going the right direction. It
works ok in calm water but I don't know about doing that in a white
water setting. Of course, I haven't done it much so maybe I'd get
better about staying straight with practice. I prefer rowing though so
I devote all my spare time to that. Kayaking is just something I do
every now and then with friends.

Audrey