[Sportsandrec] Scuba diving

Audrey Farnum atfarnum at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 20:41:57 UTC 2011

Hi Doug,

I got certified when I was low vision. I just went through the dive
shop that was right down the street from my house and explained my
situation to the instructor. I actually didn't know there were
adaptive instructors until after I got signed up, but this lady was
very supportive and I had no issues with the class. In fact, after I
became totally blind, my instructor was trying to talk me into
continuing to dive which I thought was very cool. I know I still could
do it but just don't have the interest since I couldn't see anything.
Anyway, I just had to make sure I was positioned close enough to see
the hand signals. I could read my gages if I held them up to my mask.
The only dive related problem I had that was connected to my vision is
that when doing a dive in Hawaii, I almost got bitten by an eel that
was camoflauged in some coral and I couldn't see it. But, it was more
of an inexperience issue because I wasn't controlling my buoyancy and
let myself get to close to the reef.  This happened on my first dive
after getting certified, and I got it worked out and never had any
other close calls after that. I always had a dive buddy, of course,
and felt perfectly safe doing it. It's a very cool activity and I hope
your daughter enjoys it and all goes well with her certification.

Audrey