[Sportsandrec] your fittness goals for the up comming year?

Bill Kociaba williamkociaba at comcast.net
Sat Dec 29 17:21:19 UTC 2012

Hi Ashley,
Yes I remember some discussion about TRX a while back.  I think someone
training for the para olympics who is in this group mentioned that her coach
was training her on it.
Honestly at that time I had no interest or knowledge of it so I paid little
attention to the thread.

I have only recently become interested in the TRX system.  I recently
reconnected with an old employee/friend/training partner of mine from when I
owned my gym.  He is the strength coach at a local highschool and he is very
high on the TRX.  I started looking into it and have actually had him teach
me the proper form on some of the basic moves.  Most of the videos on
youtube and even the ones produced by TRX really suck as far as
descriptivness.  If you can't see what they are doing the videos just won't
help.
The TRX is one of those things that you can adapt to be easy enough for a
totally unfit person to use and bennifet from and on the other end of the
spectrum the strongest and fittest person can get a fantastic workout with
it.  Its just adapting the movements.  Just as an example you can have a
beginner do a regular squat(deep knee bend)while holding the handles and
using their upper body strength to take a lot of the pressure off their legs
and you can go to the other end again by attaching the ankle strap to one
leg and have it suspended in the air behind or in front of you and do one
leg squats(which are increadably difficult to do)and if you can handle those
then you can even make em harder by holding weights in your hands while
doing them.
The movements are done smoothly not super fast or explosivly so yes a blind
person could learn by lightly touching someone performing the movements.
I know its sevral months away but I am planning on attending the national
convention and was toying with the idea of bringing my TRX along and
demonstrating it/training anyone who wanted to give it a try.  Totally for
free of course. Honestly just want to share the knowledge and get practise
teaching  the exercises.  So if you are going to be in Orlando I would be
happy to show you some stuff.
You would probably be able to follow along in a class provided you learned
the moves in advance.  The best way would be to bite the bullit(so to
speak)and pay one of the instructors to do a private session or two with you
to get the moves down.  Then you would be able to keep up with no problems,
I am sure.
The system is very cardio aggressive as most of the movements are compound
exercises working sevral large muscle groups at once.  It is fantastic for
building great cardio fittness and solid core strength as well as improving
balance.  Don't know about the rest of you but my balance is probably my
greatest weakness.  I am strong and pretty cardio fit but my balance is just
not as good as it should be.  Doing things like those one leg squats  and
lunges and some of the other moves will help a great deal with that.
There is also a TRX ap on the Iphone.  It has little video descriptions of
each movement, a stop watch and multiple programs one can follow.  But again
the videos are not clear as far as describing exactly what the move is.
I hope that covered all your questions, Ashley.  If I missed anything please
get back to me either here or off line at williamkociaba at comcast.net

So everyone else Like I said I know its sevral months away but I will throw
it out there. Who is going to be in Orlando and is there anyone who would
like to take me up on a little TRX torture?
Bill