[Sportsandrec] Training for and running half marathons

Jessica Kostiw jessicac.kostiw at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 02:55:09 UTC 2012

I ran one in Virginia Beach back in 2006.  It was one of the best
experiences of my life!!  One thing I would add to why holding an elbow is
not a good solution is that you are too close to the guide and much more
likely to trip over their feet and such.  My rule of thumb was to get as
much info as I could on where we were running, while we were running it.  If
the guide saw any change in condition of course I wanted to know.  This
prevented the shock factor and therefore injury.  The other thing is you
want a guide who is a better runner than you.  You want someone who can pay
attention to your needs, not someone at your level who may be huffing to
maintain or keep up.

Good luck and happy training!
Jessica Kostiw