[Sportsandrec] clueless coaches

jody at thewhitehats.com jody at thewhitehats.com
Mon Jul 9 20:40:26 UTC 2012

Hi Ricky,

My parents had absolutely no clue what my vision was or what was going on in
school.  They figured that if  I tried a little harder I could see and they
figured the professionals knew what th
ey were doing.

My mother is 89 and she has Macular Degeneration.  She says everything is
blurry and she just can't see to do things any more.  I commented that my
vision was always much worse and maybe she could finally understand why I
was always struggling in school.

When I was in third grade I was in the slowest reading group and by seventh
grade I was in remedial reading class.  I was never taught Braille because I
could see to read.  I graduated from high school with a third grade reading
ability.  I taught myself Braille and I am now a big advocate for teaching
low vision kids Braille.

I think a big reason why kids don't share these problems at home is because
they feel the problems are their fault.

So much for the experts.

JODY