[Sportsandrec] clueless coaches

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 12 22:03:07 UTC 2012

I see what Jody is saying; as I grew older as a teen and now adult I do what
I want without too much concern about others perceptions.
No I won't appologize for the extra work of accomodations as I have a right
to be in a class or workshop.
That said, fitness instructors and PE teachers are clueless about how to
adapt games and help us. Someone has to educate them. Its not always the
kids, they do not know what to say. A little kid, say ten years old, isn't
going to boldly go up to their teacher  and say what they can do or tell the
teacher how to teach; kids just do not do that.
It’s the teacher's role and parent's role to help.

As for aids, no Jody I don't agree with your comment. Aids, especially in
PE, can serve a valuable role. I do not see evidence for being better off
without an aid. How on earth are you better off when you do not get the
visual info everyone else learns or sees a demonstration.
How are you better off when the class sees a video and the aid  is not there
to describe it?
School is more visual now; in your days jody, you had more lecture; now you
have videos, computer programs teaching concepts, and other multimedia
presentations such as powerpoint and adobe flash.
An aid can show or describe hands on what to do. As for my experience in PE,
it sucked mostly. My O&M instructor did educate them some; they asked
another student in class to show me some of the exercises. For running, I
did that with a student partner. In middle school, the emphasis was on
sports games. We cannot get involved there as you can get hit by a ball
easily. Yes we can play with audible balls in a small group; but we cannot
play those games like soccer or volleyball without help.
In middle school, an aid or my O&M instructor took me out of PE and we went
to the weight room to use the weight machines or the cardio equipment.
I would do the warm up calisthenics
with the class. Then we went to the other room to do something else while
the class did their ball games.
The aide came from the autism room. I did not have a full time aide
supervising me like some blind kids have.

A student should advocate at age appropriate times and politely. That comes
with practice and maturity. A good TVI will help teach advocacy.
I support advocacy definitely, but I think it falls on the parents and
special ed teachers to help at a young age.