[Sportsandrec] Sportsandrec Digest, Vol 76, Issue 8

Kelly Thornbury kthornbury at bresnan.net
Tue Jun 12 18:19:54 UTC 2012

Try using the "my pyramid" website
Http://www.mypyramid.gov

This is the FDAs website, based on the food guide pyramid, where you can set up a profile and track calorie intake from a wide variety of foods. It also has a section on physical activity where you can select the type of activity and the duration and it will calculate your daily calorie expenditure. It seems relatively accurate, but keep in mind that every individual is different when it comes to efficiency and physiology.

Most of the watches or the calorie counters on fitness equipment on the market can be wildly inaccurate, and this data should probably only be used for comparison purposes...Not "I burned 452 calories today" but rather "last week's workout was 400 calories and this week's is 455 so it was a little harder..."

Contact me off list if you would like me to send you an Excel file that will calculate estimated calorie expenditure for walking and running. This formula is best used on a treadmill or maybe on a track where you know exactly the incline of the terrain and the average speed can be easily calculated.

Finally, I've heard that (and never tried) there are a number of SmartPhone/iPhone apps that will calculate calories based on the type of activity.

Okay, that doesn't sound like it helped any, I could try again with more details on your goals or intended use of the data, and the activities involved.

Kelly
kthornbury at bresnan.net