[Sportsandrec] Blind Competitive Swimming

Lori Lori at asmodean.net
Thu Mar 22 01:57:51 UTC 2012

Justin,

Go to Kiefer.com and checkout the AdapTap. I was involved in the testing of
it when it was first designed. You can set up the markers to suit your
needs. If you just want to be notified when you are reaching the wall at the
end of the lane  you only need four of them and it will cost you about $30.
You can also set it up to help you swim straight and to stay out of the lane
ropes. It is very helpful for detecting the end of the lane or extremely
consistent for knowing when to do a flip turn, etc.

The system is thin rods that attach to the lane ropes. They have balls on
the ends that are not attached to the lane ropes. The end ones are a length
that when one is placed on both the left and right, they almost touch, so
you can't miss them, yet the allow you to swim through them. They can be
placed anywhere  you choose, but a common place would be the backstroke
flags. If you want to use them for orientation through out the lane, then
they are set as pairs in intervals  along the lane. That way if a right
ankle brushes one, you know you are begining to veer left and you can make a
minor adjustment and don't have to get into the lane ropes before you know
you are swimming crooked.

Lori