[Sportsandrec] looking for lifters

Audrey Farnum atfarnum at gmail.com
Mon May 14 03:14:23 UTC 2012

Hi Mike.

Welcome to the list. I started lifting about 6 months ago. Not for
competition or anything. I'm a rower so I'm doing sport specific
training to improve my strength and endurance. I got started after my
coach had us in the weight room some during winter training. I had
never lifted before and felt like a complete moron. Fortunately, my
team is an adult, mostly recreational team so lifting isn't a big
focus, but I still wanted to at least be able to hold my own. After a
couple of awkward team workouts, I decided to get some one on one
instruction so I wouldn't be so clueless in future practices. The
weight room  was an area where being the only blind person on a
sighted team was a  distraction and inconvenience and I didn't want to
slow things up so bad because I didn't know anything about lifting.  I
have a friend and fellow rower who used to lift competitively so he's
been working with me. I had planned to do it just long enough to
educate myself a bit and be able to be a little more independent in
team workouts, but soon started to enjoy the challenge  and see how
lifting could benefit my rowing. My friend has been enjoying seeing my
progress as much as I  have so we've kept it up. I can tell a
noticeable difference in the boat since I started lifting,
particularly with my upper body control. I usually only have time to
lift once a week, but even that little bit has made a difference. I've
been having a lot of fun with it.

Audrey