[Sportsandrec] Working with New Fitness Center

Tina Hansen th404 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 1 18:16:11 UTC 2012

Just recently, I decided to find a fitness center closer to where I live. I want to work with them to both meet my accessibility needs, as well as those of the center. Someone suggests that if I have a favorite exercise bike, they could move it downstairs. I recognize that this would be convenient, but that would mean one less bike in the cardio area. I am also aware that going up the stairs before my workout and back down for the weights can keep the heart rate up, which is why I don't care if they leve it up there. Not only that, if they left it upstairs, I could also use a treadmill or elliptical so I could vary my workout. They be less likely to move a treadmill or elliptical downstairs as well as a bike.

Also, while they may not be able to outfit the equipment with voice, they could put labels on the controls. This facility seems to be sensitive to the needs of people with disabilities, since two of its members are deaf, and I could educate them on blindness. I don't wish to be so insistant on my needs to the expense of other members, yet I want to work with them to find good solutions. Does anyone out there have suggestions on labeling equipment so that I can use it, but so other members can still use it when I'm not there?

So does anyone out there have suggestions for how to work with the staff of my fitness center to address my needs? Thanks.