[Sportsandrec] Blind skateboarder

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 16 00:25:01 UTC 2013

Jody,
I agree. Maturity would have taught him to accept blindness and a cane.

About skateboarding, I know echo location can be a great tool for objects,
but it seems to me that skateboarding would present other challenges too.
If you don't have enough vision to see them, how could you do it safely and
also navigate?
How would you know  where to turn? How would you know where drop offs are?
Also, what about small bumps that might knock you over?
I would think you would need to walk the route you were going to skateboard
in before you did it alone.

Ashley