[Sportsandrec] workout question

Bill Kociaba williamkociaba at comcast.net
Sat Feb 23 19:34:59 UTC 2013

Hi Sarah,
 There are many things that you don't mention that would help determine
 if there is a health problem.  First how long after eating and how large of
a preworkout meal do you consume.  if you are training on a full stomech
this will inhibit digestion and will make you really feel lousy.  Cardio
type training should be done on empty or just something very light and
easily digestable  at least 45 min to an hour before.
Another factor is the level of intensity with which you are doing your
rowing.  If you are really hitting it aggressivly and you are not well
hydrated then nausia would not be uncommon.  If you are working at a lower
level of intensity and still nausis then the question of hydration comes up.
One thing that you have to understand is that rowing is a much more full
body movement than walking on a treadmill or working an eliptical.  Even if
you are using an eliptical that has the upper body movement it is not as
aggressive as rowing. Another factor could involve your breathing.  If you
are hyperventelating or for some reason holding your breth during the
movement that could cause problems.

Try lowering the intensity a little.  Start with a good warm up for maybe
five minutes then gradually increase the workload.  Stay hydrated but don't
gulp lots of water.  Keep it to water Gator Aid and products like it ar not
good during your workout.  Just water and not cold water either.  Gulping
cold water when your body is overheated could be another cause.
I have had plenty of workouts that left me light headed nausis and yes
throwing up in back of the gym but I was pushing myself to my absaloute
limit and trying to go beyond them.  You don't need to do that in every
workout to improve your health and cardio conditioning.  I was a little
crazy and was shooting for maximum muscle gains not health and fitness.