[Sportsandrec] that camping trip I mentioned a couple of months ago

justin williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 01:46:36 UTC 2013

What kind of cane didyo use/

-----Original Message-----
From: Sportsandrec [mailto:sportsandrec-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
Julie J.
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 8:30 PM
To: Sports and Recreation for the Blind Discussion List
Subject: [Sportsandrec] that camping trip I mentioned a couple of months ago

Heya all!

I just got back this morning from that wilderness survival trip I mentioned
a couple of months ago.  It was totally awesome!  I had a great time,
learned a lot and had no blindness issues.

My son and I went together for the three day course.  We learned how to
build fires without matches or lighters, how to make rope, how to collect
and purify water, how to make wooden cups, made a frog gig/spear thingy,
learned how to identify some native edible plants, made a couple of
different animal traps, made a fishing line and gorge and so many other
things.  Most of the lessons were hands on and the instructors were great
about working with me individually if I needed it.  They did this with
everyone anyway.  The only thing I couldn't follow at all without the 1 on 1
help was tying knots.  I worked with the fire building supplies and sharp
knives without the slightest hesitation of the instructor.

Outside of the lodge area I did find that walking sighted guide was the
easiest for me.  By the third day I think I had a good grasp of the area,
the hills and the water features and could have navigated it independently.
There was so much to learn that I didn't want to take time or mental energy
away from the new skills to learn the area though.

Thanks for all of your great ideas!  It helped me a lot in planning and
preparing for this trip and helped it to be a really enjoyable  adventure!

Julie