[Sportsandrec] rowing technique

Lisamaria Martinez lmartinez217 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 21:28:19 UTC 2013

sarah,

Ah, I just got a row machine too and have been trying to work on
technique as well. Being that I've done a little rowing in the past,
I've been able to recall the proper technique with some help from
friends. Please no that there are other rowers on this list who can
help too.

I'm told you should think of the entire stroke as a one to three, or
even four or five count. I personally haven't figured out the timing,
but a friend who was helping me yesterday said I row at about a one to
three ratio. The one thing I remember from my rowing days was legs,
then back, then arms, and then slowly come back up to the catch in
reverse: arms, body, legs. So ...

Consider one to be when you are at the catch, or crunched up with
knees to your chest and your hands on the handle out in front of you.
Push back with your legs only followed by your body starting to lean
back.

I guess the two count is about the time your arms come toward your
body at about  bra strap height.

I guess the three and four count will be your arms going away from
you, followed by your body leaning forward, with your legs being the
very last thing to crunch back up.

Hope that helps.

Lisamaria