[Sportsandrec] Blind archery

Kelly Thornbury kthornbury at bresnan.net
Fri Oct 4 21:49:38 UTC 2013

Based on my skills, sometimes I don't, and I have a load of arrows that need to go to recycling. Now seriously, most of the time I use a "spotter," which is nice to have to tell you where you are hitting through a flight so you can make minor adjustments. On the occasions I shoot alone (we have a 24-7 indoor range near the house), I run a rope (an old climbing rope works well) from a specific point at the base of the target through my tripod stand. That way, even if I'm not perfectly square to the target (i.e., a little left or right), the straight line of the rope allows me to place the stand at the correct angle (or degree of rotation) to still be close to the target. Our club has a continuous target bail from one end of the back wall to the other that runs from about knee level to about head level of a nine-foot Irishman, so I'm less worried about a major miss as I would be on a standard 122cm round target or a stack of hay bails. I also have mounted a laser sight from a pistol to my stabilizer that, when properly sighted in, allows a spotter to see exactly where I am aiming while we sight-in the tactile stand. This method, however, is not legal in international competition, but with time and experimentation a spotter could look down your firing line from a certain pint on your stand (I'm working on the center mounting screw of my pointer now) to get the stand reasonably close. I have heard of another method of simply running a line from the target to your bow and taking a reference from that, but I don't speak Czech (where it is being developed) and it is also not legal yet in competition. Once I can figure it out I would like to try this method simply because it supposedly allows you to walk up to any target and sight in by yourself in your first flight. Hope this helps.

Kelly