[Sportsandrec] Martial Arts for the Blind

JUSTIN LOUCHART jalouchart at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 21:14:40 UTC 2013

Hi, Brad,

What are you looking for in a martial art? Most blind people who do
martial arts do either Brazilian Jujitsu (jujutsu/jui-jitsu) also
called 'Gracey Jui-Jitsu,' although that's trademarked. That's
primarily a grappling sport. They also do judo, primarily a
falling/throwing sport, which is considerably more useful than it
might sound. Then there are a few forms of karate which are practiced.

I, myself, practice Shobudo Jujitsu. Its focus is on joint breaks and throws.

The variability is in real-world practicality versus routine exercise.

What are you looking for, and maybe I can recommend a few things to look into?

Justin