[Sportsandrec] Martial Arts for the Blind

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 24 03:26:47 UTC 2013

Brad,
If I did martial arts, I'd think as you do.
I'd not want to do  ones with kicks. I have balance issues when standing on
one foot due to my vision impairment. The part controlling that, the
cerebellum, is underdeveloped for me.
Anyway, I could have a better chance of success with using my upper
torso. I have not heard of blind people doing  kung fu.
That is an ancient art too, from Korea. Judo is Japanese I think.
I thought that kung fu involved kicks and punches though.

Maybe contacting USABA for ideas would help.

If you want to explore kung fu, go for it. Perhaps talking to some
instructors to get a feel for their teaching style  and moves it involves
would help you  make an informed decission.

Ashley