[Sportsandrec] martial arts schools

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 24 04:01:42 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Some questions about martial arts practice.
I noticed that most schools have different martial arts at their dojo. Well, some only have judo.
But many have a handful of them. They also have classes marked “beginner” or “all levels” Also, intermediate or advanced is mentioned sometimes.

Would it be a correct assumption that all levels involves different belt levels?

Its my understanding you have to join a school to take and practice classes; like joing a fitness club. You belong and to one, and I assume you pay monthly or some set schedule. So my questions.

Is it common to join a school? What are the fees like? I mean  a price range. I would be concerned about the expense. Is it under 100 dollars a month?
I noticed no school placed their prices online but most other details such as class times are there.
Is joining a long term commitment? I wasn’t sure if it was a contract or pay as you participate kind of thing.
How often do you go to classes? Once a week, would be my guess.
How long are classes?
I see some schools have a period of time marked “open practice” or something like that. I assume that you can come in during this time with a classmate and practice without an instructor.
If you attend a dojo, is being ranked mandatory? Do you have to be tested to get another belt? Do you have to go to tournaments or competetions to keep being a member?

Just some practical questions.

Ashley