[Sportsandrec] The Visually Impaired category

Jessica Beecham Jessica at wefitwellness.com
Tue Aug 25 14:49:03 UTC 2015

I think there is no perfect answer to this but here are some thoughts.

It is all about introducing people to the options. Some people will love running road races and some will prefer doing other things but knowing the options is key. Maybe try to get together a panel at your NFB state convention to discuss racing and other sports/recreational activities. Also one key is identifying guides. If you can get together a couple of interested blind folks and some guides maybe start a weekly fun run somewhere central so that people can participate easily. Lots of people will at first just use it as an opportunity to exercise but some will catch the racing big.

Target an annual event (if there is a free or low cost one this would be great.) Start inviting blind people to participate in this one event every year. Each year you will build more and more attendees plus a list of people you can invite to your weekly runs and other racing events.

Target some NFB chapters near you and try to make it a chapter goal to train to at least walk a 5k. Remember, many people have to start here.

These are just a few ideas. Good luck.

Best Wishes

Jess

Sent from my iPhone