[Sportsandrec] Greetings

Poppa Bear heavens4real at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 07:06:40 UTC 2015

Brazilian Jujitzu is an off shoot of a martial art made very famous by the Gracey family who were originally from Brazil and adapted traditional jujitsu to their own style. In the early days of MMA/UFC  the Gracie family were pretty much unstoppable and as their popularity spread they and their students established dojoes throughout the US as well as other countries. Brazilian Jujitsu also known as BJJ on most message boards and in most training gyms is now a day's considered to mainly be a ground game geared towards the octagon or MMA/UFC style of fighting. The training is big on locks, pens and many grappling techniques with some striking. Sometimes opponents will start on their knees or even back to back. There is a blindBJJ practitioner who has even one some pro MMA matches. As far as a self defense martial art sport, many argue that it is the least geared towards self defense, but at the same time, I think that when it comes down to a student who knows BJJ versus a person who has no formal martial art training, the odds are in the trained persons favor. I have a client who is an Army Ranger graduate and he went to the local BJJ gym for a while and when it came to the octagon he said that he got his butt kicked. As a Ranger, I doubt that the BJJ students would be as successful in a street fight though, but you never know. Also, depending on the gym the physical training can be very intense and extremely competitive. The Graceies were a rough and tumble family and they were also surfers in Brazil. As with many surfers there is a kind of brotherhood, lingo and even dress code and a lot of the time it translates into BJJ. Even when it comes to the BJJ clothing and gear it is more fashionable, bad boyish and more spendier than other martial arts. I know that I wasn't asked the question, but as on most boards the allowance is given to answer a little out of order, I hope I didn't cause any offence.