[Sportsandrec] SPORTS WITH SMALL AUDIBLE BALLS?

Kelly Thornbury kthornbury at bresnan.net
Wed Feb 25 00:18:44 UTC 2015

Yeah, activities where the number of bounces is lower (table/tennis, volleyball, etc) the "bell" balls are harder to track because it generally takes two or more bounces to determine a velocity (speed and direction), plus in sports like volleyball (which I know isn't a "small ball" activity) where the ball doesn't generally spin in the air there is nothing to make the bells vibrate. When we adapted tennis for a college course I was allowed two bounces for this reason. Anyone want a decent marketing idea, a leather volleyball where the leather is sewn into small flaps inside so if the ball does spin during flight the flaps will agitate the bells. Slightly off topic.

Otherwise, toys for smaller pets (puppies/kittens) work okay, and if you find a ball with a hole in it you may be able to insert bells and seal the hole (did this with a wiffleball once with reasonable success).