[Sportsandrec] Running

Kelly Thornbury kthornbury at bresnan.net
Fri Jan 23 02:12:49 UTC 2015

Yeah JS, I've been super stealth, lowest profile lately.

JS, LM, and All...
In its simplest definition, intervals are alternating periods of higher intensity segments followed by lower intensity ones. Just as an example, consider someone can run a 10 minute mile for ten minutes. In your intervals you may shoot for running at a 8minute mile pace for three minutes followed by maybe three minutes at a 12 or 14 minute pace. This could be considered one set (for you weight lifters). If you do five sets during your workout, you have put in an effort of an 8 minute mile pace for fifteen minutes (a greater intensity than your ten minutes at a 10 minute mile pace). Now assume your 10 minute pace is at your Maximum Lactate Steady State (MLSS, also commonly referred to as lactate threshold but technically and clinically not the same thing). When your body goes from aerobic (with oxygen) training to anaerobic (without oxygen) your body produces lactic acid (lactate once it enters the blood stream). Aerobic zones are approximately nine times more efficient than anaerobic (you can jog all day but you can only sprint a few seconds/minutes). arguably more important, and certainly more trainable, than VO2max is MLSS when it comes to longer endurance events. With the above intervals, if your MLSS is reached at a 10 minute pace, you have just trained above your MLSS for 15 minutes, eventually increasing your MLSS (lactate threshold) and increasing your ability to run long distances at a faster pace. The recovery segments allow you to ultimately put in more training time above your MLSS (in the example, approximately 25% higher for 50% longer).

LM, Joe, and all, the LoLo apps are really nice for interval training, you can't really beat the coaching and structure for the few dollars the apps cost. I think they even have a marathon app, prescribing intervals and work/rest days and tracking progress.

Intervals are becoming the "go to" workout design in several publications now. Not many downsides to intervals as long as you remember to recover adequately between workouts and it is advisable to have a good base before incorporating them into your workouts (so you have the strength to do the workouts; your joints are conditioned for the abuse; bluster bluster blah blah blah).

Again, if you are running for weight control, intervals are less important than total miles. You will use the same number of calories running 5 miles at any pace... If you run 5 miles at 5mph you run for, and burn calories for, an hour. If you run the same 5 miles at 10mph you've run twice as hard but for only half the time... Calories are same same. Interval training does seem (the research is still incomplete about this) continue to burn calories longer after the workout than just constant pace running for the same distance and time. Probably due to the higher intensity segments and requiring more calories to "recover and repair" but that's just my own assumption as to the reasoning and when you assume...

Hope this helps... it was like a whole semester in college ;)