[Sportsandrec] Intro and Sports Nutrition Related Question

Kelly Thornbury kthornbury at bresnan.net
Fri Jan 30 02:28:29 UTC 2015

Hi Ryan and welcome.

Probably one of the best sites and apps is www.myfitnesspal.com
I've found it pretty accessible, has one of the largest food calorie informations online, and you can put in your meals, fluid consumption, and exercise and get all sort of useful statistics.

While calorie counting is important for elite runners, don't get stuck on the daily intake. If you are at an ideal weight now, check your weight about once a week or so (at the same time of day, wearing approximately the same clothing, and properly hydrated), if you notice a weight loss trend, you aren't eating enough; if you are gaining weight, you are eating too much. Coaches try to make it complicated and confusing, but it truly is as simple as that. Body weight is simply calories in vs calories out, if your weight is steady, you've reached a balance.

Good luck.
Kelly