[Sportsandrec] talking heart rate monitors

Kelly Thornbury kthornbury at bresnan.net
Sun Sep 27 21:41:37 UTC 2015

Haven't seen a "talking" HR monitor in years, and because of the lack of quality in most I had owned I don't bother with them anymore. Regardless, every one I even had used headphones, and honestly were in my experience not even sweat proof, let alone water proof.

So, my suggestions are based on what you want to pay and what features you are looking for. A simple Polar watch and some sighted help setting up workout zones is an option. Something like a Timex or Garmin may be an option. My Garmin multisport watch has GPS so for rowing as an example you could set up an auto-lap by distance and get HR max and average for each segment. Mine also vibrates if I move between zones, and I know what zone I'm in based on perceived effort.

Probably my best suggestion would be from 4III. Short story it's a device that attaches to your [sun] glasses and connects via ANT+ to things like HR monitors and Speed/cadence sensors. There is no "recording" of data as far as I know (again, haven't had the need to look in a long time), but the HR strap will connect via BlueTooth to an iPhone (maybe others by now, I know it was in the works). The HR strap is waterproof (but like any ANT+ protocol won't transmit under water) and I know the head unit (on the glasses) is water resistant, but I don't know to what level/depth. The head unit can be set to give both LED and audible data on a preset time interval or at a finger tap on the device. May also need sighted help for the initial set up (the computer-based set up software was not JAWS/VoiceOver compatible but the IOS software is sometimes.