[Sportsandrec] Question about triathlons

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 23:29:00 UTC 2016

I would love to do it in a pool, but it will be a lake. This is a tri sprint
too. We only swim 500 yards, so not long, but it's an open swim that will
have about 250 other swimmers. We plan to give other swimmers a 5 minute
head start, but with so many, I don't think it will make a big difference to
give them a head start. Plus, I'm a pretty fast swimmer, so likely I will
catch up to a lot of them. My partner and I plan to stick to the outer
portion of the lake, avoiding the center, since less people do this,
according to my partner, who competes in several races throughout the year.

I'm totally blind, and for me, I find I lose my orientation quickly when
doing rigourous movement. The lanes in a pool help keep me from drifting too
far or losing my orientation. I used to be a dancer before I lost my sight,
and I've never been able to dance without losing my orientation in a big way
since becoming blind. This seems to happen with most activity involving lots
of movement. Running on a trail or path is fine because I can use my cane to
frequently find the edge, keeping on the correct side of the trail. Without
roped off lanes in a pool, I drift from side to side though. So I feel
tethering to my partner for an open swim is best, it's just figuring out
what works best.

Thanks again for all the advice and support.

Bridgit