[Sportsandrec] 'Exercising Your Right to Fitness'

Michael bonsai1b at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 25 20:09:57 UTC 2016

Good afternoon,
I was a bodybuilder for ten to fifteen years in my younger years so I am
very familiar with gyms and fitness equipment.  When I lost my vision
completely over several years I went into a complete withdrawal and, once I
got through the grieving process, picked myself up and began to plug myself
back into as many things I could do as a sighted person, and even some I
couldn't do sighted.  I called the manager of the gym I had worked out at
and he encouraged me to come in.  So I called the vocational rehab O and M
person and met her at the gym.  We spent about two hours getting a good
mental map of the gym floor and equipment location and tips for using the
settings on the equipment.  By the end of this session I could move
independently in the gym.  I asked the manager to allow me to mark a few of
the pieces of cardio equipment with bump dots and met no resistance.  The
only section of the gym I have a challenge is the free weight area, and, as
the article indicated, is not due to my lack of knowledge, but more due to
other individuals who don't put weights back when finished with them.  The
dumbell rack stays out of order.  I generally work out with a partner in
this area as much for a spot for safety reasons as for the general condition
of the area.

The article referenced is fairly complete if not a bit too complicated.  For
general fitness, there doesn't need to be complicated algorithms
for working out.  For example one of the most popular techniques is interval
training.  Just set a piece of equipment at a comfortable resistance and
alternate between thirty to forty five seconds of as fast as you can go and
then the same amount of a normal pace, doing these intervals over half an
hour.  Not complicated.  I now work out at Planet Fitness.  It isn't the
hardcore gym I worked out in the past but meets my needs at my stage in
life.  It costs ten dollars a month and has over 1000 gyms now across the
United States.  The manager of my gym tells me that they encourage blind
individuals to come in.

Michael