[Sportsandrec] looking at a tandem trike

Ron Burzese rrburzese at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 15:51:59 UTC 2016

Hello Robert,

I’m happy to hear about your team’s mutual interest and excitement about the trike.

Regarding your question about the three-speed, it should be fine, for mostly flat to moderately rolling bike trails.

A lady friend of mine bought an upright, two-wheeled tandem for her daughter, who is 11, and has mild autism. I tuned it up for her. It is very heavy, like seventy pounds, because it is mostly made of steel. However, once I rode it with her, it did not matter that it was only a 3-speed and 30 to 40 pounds heavier than the tandems I normally ride. It fit her well, up front and I was able to get comfortable enough, considering the leisure style of this bike. We rode it twice, including an 18-mile trek from my garage to hers. Around town, we kept it mostly in second gear, due to the stop and go. For small hills, like climbing over a pedestrian bridge that crosses the river, we’d use first gear. Once on a portion of the bike trail, which is mostly flat and smooth, with virtually no stops, for 32 miles, we were in third gear. Overall, I was impressed with the execution of the gearing. However, had we ridden the trail further east, nearing the foothills of the Sierras, I would have wanted a wider range of gears.

Back to your potential trike, go with what you can, if the price is right and the fit is comfortable. It will be a good, starter bike, for both of you. As you ride, you will both get stronger and learn about the bike’s pros and cons. Most likely, you will want to keep riding and possibly make modifications or upgrade.

I imagine that the 8 or 11-speed hubs are two to four-hundred dollars. Not to mention, it will cost at least $40 to rebuild the rear wheel. I like to reuse spokes, but many shops will want to use new ones, adding $30 or more to the project.

If you really want more gears, you may want to sell the bike, outright, and start over, with another bike. Only time and distances ridden will tell if the bike meets your team’s requirements.

Generally, tandems hold their value pretty well, when it comes time to resell. Take it out for a realistic test-ride, find some hills and see what happens. The shop should take the time to make sure your legs are properly extended, which is the most important adjustment, both for comfort and efficient power. Three weeks ago, I rode 130 miles, in 11 hours, total time. If my saddle is too low, I’m struggling to go five miles, literally.

Go to the shop, with some food in your stomachs and take your time. In the first ten minutes, ride easy, to allow you both to warm up. Keep that excitement under control, or you will both get winded, with burning legs and want to go home. Ease into the ride. You, are the customer and always right. Most shops employees are there, because they love cycling and want to promote their favorite activity.

Consider the terrain around your home, as well as pavement conditions. If your roads are in good condition, then the original tires should be fine. If they are rough, from hard winters, then you may want tires with a larger air-volume, for more comfort. I mention this, because the shop may credit you on parts they change for you, before the purchase.

I’m curious to hear what you both think. Please keep me in the loop and feel free to call if you have more questions. I’d even be happy to call the shop and talk with the staff, should you need a forerunner. Oh yeah, if you buy the bike, get a bell, for her and another noise-maker, like a squeaky toy for you. I have some squeaky-toy kitties, on the back of my tandems. As people call out to you, on the bike trails, it is a convenient way to respond to the compliments.

I have ridden this particular trike and written up a report, along with the heavy 3-speed, if anyone would like to read them.

Shalom,

Ron Burzese, NOMC
Sacramento