[Sportsandrec] We did it, we ran the NYC Marathon

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 23:12:40 UTC 2016

Gaston,

That's amazing. Congrats.

Bridgit

-----Original Message-----
From: SportsandRec [mailto:sportsandrec-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
Gaston Bedard via SportsandRec
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:12 PM
To: 'Ron Burzese' <rrburzese at gmail.com>
Cc: Gaston Bedard <gasbedard at videotron.ca>; 'Sports and Recreation for the
Blind Discussion List' <sportsandrec at nfbnet.org>
Subject: [Sportsandrec] We did it, we ran the NYC Marathon

Hello folks,

We did it, we ran and completed the NYC Marathon on Sunday, November 6,
2016.
We ran and participated as members of Achilles International based in New
York City.

it was an awesome amazing experience the 5 of us will never forget.
We met some wonderful people and athletes from all over the world.

The folks at Achilles International were very friendly, helpful, and it was
thanks to them that it worked out so well.

I had a wonderful time chatting with Dick Traun, founder and president of
Achilles International at the reception dinner on Friday evening.

Dick Traun is the first amputee to complete the NYC Marathon, which he did
in 1976.
Dick inspired Terry Fox to pursue his Marathon of Hope across Canada.

My son Marc was an excellent facilitator, and great help getting me through
to the finish in Central Park.

It was an awesome father son adventure, great team work, an experience we
will never forget.

I gave my son Marc 3 big hugs, during the NYC Marathon, at 13 km, 24 km then
at 34 km.
Marc was also at the Achilles International family reunion tent, at the
finish.

My 3 guides, Addie, Michel and Laurence did a great job guiding me to the
finish.
The 4 of us wore the Achilles International singlet, with logo and colours.

It felt so wonderful crossing the finish line, the 4 of us holding hands
with arms held up high.
I do like to say, 'When you have good people around you, it's amazing what
you can do'.
My guides are very special people.

I have more to share, a lot happend in those 4 days in New York.

Gaston