[Sportsandrec] [Portlanders] [Portlander] Fitness in Maryland

GL Norman glnorman15 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 19 22:59:30 UTC 2017

This is a good discussion. I herein add a mini comment for whatever value it may contribute.

Generally, fitness centers increase in their attendance at the advent of the year and, then, Wayne. Such is human nature, perhaps. That stated, the blindness community seems more difficult to encourage towards fitness goals. In neither confirming nor denying the veracity of this; I have always had the sense that the guide dog sub-community of the blind somewhat more hold themselves out as better in this regard.

Yes. Organizing the Maryland segment of the blindness community has always seemed difficult. Particularly, I attempted to encourage people to form a beeper baseball team. I favored that for the fact, of it being for better or worse, possibly interactive with sighted persons. I have always broker blind persons and the sighted together.

Note: I rowed for a few years.

I also have a personal trainer who manages the fitness center at the day gig. She is incredibly blindness and dog friendly. I am Chairing our Disability Employee Resource Group at the day gig this year. I am of the opinion that, if all of us work at a healthcare policy agency, we should also promote more health of our disabled employees and disabled managers. So she will, in May, help me host a panel on exercise and disability as part of one of our bi-monthly membership meetings.

I am working with her towards particularly a goal of running (with my Mason brother) a small 5K race for charity at the conclusion of this year.

Fraternally,
G. Norman