[Sportsandrec] Finding motivation

Everett Gavel everett at everettgavel.com
Sat Mar 25 14:06:01 UTC 2017

Hello Rachel, and All,

Below are some of the quotes I've gathered over
the years, which I often reread to help motivate
me. I hope you also may find the motivation you
need, in the wisdom shared below. There are
somewhere around 20 quotes, with a couple/few
bonuses thrown in.  ;-)

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he
stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but
where he stands at times of challenge and
controversy."
-- Martin Luther King

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by
every experience in which you really stop to look
fear in the face. You must do the thing which you
think you cannot do."
-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Success is not the result of spontaneous
combustion.
You must set yourself on fire."
-- Reggie Leach

"There's only one thing worse than somebody who
quits and leaves--
and that's somebody who quits and stays."
-- Author Unknown

"Live each day as if YOU were a part of history."
-- Author Unknown

"I count him braver who overcomes his desires
than him who conquers his enemies,
for the hardest victory is over self."
-- Aristotle (384-322 BC)

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter
of choice;
it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing
to be achieved."
-- William Jennings Bryan

"While they were saying among themselves it cannot
be done, it was done."
-- Helen Keller

Determine that the thing can and shall be done,
and then... find the way."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"100% of the shots you don't take don't go in."
-- Wayne Gretzky (Hockey player)

"I'm at that place in my life where I'm not afraid
of dying.
I'm afraid of not living."
-- Eileen O'Malley, character in the movie,
"Devlin"

"True strength is the flower of Wisdom, but its
seed is action."
-- Author Unknown

"It does not matter how slowly you go so long as
you do not stop."
-- Confucius

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will
bleed in battle."
-- Motto of Navy Seals

"Every man dies. Not every man lives."
-- Tim Robbins, in The Shawshank Redemption

"Our doubts are traitors,
and make us lose the good we oft might win
by fearing to attempt."
-- William Shakespeare

"Action TNT! Action Today, Not Tomorrow!"
-- Denis Waitley, "Focused Self-Determination"

"Remember, today is the tomorrow you thought about
yesterday."
-- Unknown

Lastly, beyond all that, all I can say is to force
yourself to get out more, to associate with others
more, to mix and mingle and participate and risk
embarrassment more often, because, as ol' Ricky
says...

"You never know when you're making a memory."
-- Ricky Lee Jones

Oh, one more thing...  some of those memories you
may end up creating could be ones you wish no one
would remember. But that's life. It has nothing to
do with being blind. It's a human thing. It
happens. What is far more important is what Vince
said here, which I'll leave you with:

"It's not whether you get knocked down.  It's
whether you get up again."
-- Vince Lombardi (The man who 'invented' football
as we know it today)

Oh, okay fine, one more. Because this is something
everyone, everyone, should keep in mind. Because
when we fail at something, it's almost never the
end. Mostly, this supposedly huge thing we refer
to as, "failure," is just us tripping on the edge
of a step in the staircase of life. That's it. So,
I bid you farewell with this:

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more
intelligently."
-- Henry Ford

Strive On!
Everett