[Sportsandrec] the ADA and Gyms

Marana Vradenburg missmarana at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 01:42:49 UTC 2018

Reasonable accommodation does not mean anything other than the fact that you’re able to navigate the gym freely. Knowing where everything is is a completely different matter. If you taken some braille dots, they will mark them for you so you can use the cardio equipment independently. The problem is, other members like to peel these things off. I have found that chain Jim’s are not typically staffed well enough to provide sighted assistance. If I were you, I would search your area for a facility that is owned by A local hospital, or other medical facility. It seems like these places have more staff and have a bigger interest in the health and well-being of their members, rather than the chain Jim’s that care more about dollars. The gym where I train is owned by our local hospital and every time I go in, they have somebody that will help me navigate around people and machines, help me get my weight selected and show me how to operate the machine if it’s new to me. That’s basically it. You also have the option of getting an oh and M instructor to go in with you and help you figure things out. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone