[Sportsandrec] the ADA and Gyms

Kociaba Fitness kociabafitness at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 13:39:36 UTC 2018

I hate to say it but Marana has been really lucky with a hospital supported facility.  I used to train in the hospital gym that’s like an easy 1/4 mile walk from my house. It is a combo gym and PT clinic.  I found that I got less support from the staff there than I did in pretty much any other gym I ever used.   The trainers they had working the floor were as a group the worst I have ever observed.

Virtually every gym will provide you with a free session with a trainer when you join.  The goal of course is not really to teach you anything but to sell you on a training package.  If I go into a new gym I schedule the session when the place is its quietest and simply use the time to learn the gym floor layout. In most cases the machines and free weight equipment will be somewhat separated and usually in nice neat rows so it can be as simple as remembering, "the chest press is third in the second row"  Get that floor plan in your head.  Its not always possible but if you use the gym at a quieter time you are going to find it much easier and more enjoyable.  The interesting thing I have found over my many years in gyms is that I get more help from the other members than the staff.
It hasn't been addressed but as you mentioned your age I am wondering if you have medicare or one of the equivalent HMO's.  If so you likely have access to the "silver sneakers" program or another similer one.  If so you will likely find that you have access to sevral gyms in your area.  Try them all and figure out where you feel the most comfortable.  Funny thing(at least to me)is that I have access to six or seven gymsthrough the SS program and the hospital facility doesn't honor it.  I would think they would be on the list for sure.
I would avoid You Fit and Planet Fitness simply because they are so reasonably priced.  They tend to push a volume business and are usually over crowded. They also seem to attract a less respectful group of people. I knowthis is a very general statement  but simply saying in my experience. They tend to not put their weights away or respect other members as much as in some other gyms.  If there is a privately owned little "hole in the wall" gym in your area that will be your best option.  The only way they can compete with the big box clubs is to be more service focused.  Also you will find they will be much more "out of the box"  than the big clubs that have set protacals and find it hard to(or are unwilling to) deviate from them.   My last bit of advice would be to avoid the really massive super facilitys that have tons of machines and pools and all the other amenities.  They are just harder to navigate and they can be very frustrating.  I have been around gyms for over 40 years and for a time I trained at a LA Fitness.  It was huge with such a large gym floor and so much equipment that I found I hated going there. I found that without my workout partner it was just a huge struggle. The gym(almost any gym) is my safe place in the world. I have been around them so long that I usually am far more comfortable in them than any other place. Once I know the basic layout I don't need any help and know where things are better than most of the sighted members. Using that LA fitness just took most of the fun out of my workouts. I just reread this email and realized it has a bit of a negative tone. I don't mean to in the least just trying to share some thoughts that I hope will make it easier for you.
Bill

Bill Kociaba
www.kociaba-fitness.com
"Building Better Bodies Since 1981"