[Sportsandrec] Horse Back Riding

Nella Foster jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 02:19:23 UTC 2019

Hello:

I'm totally blind, own my own horse and have been riding for several years.  I don't think I use alternative methods when riding.  I do prefer a lighter weight saddle so that I can feel the horse better and I direct rein so that I know what my horse's head is doing.  Riding is really about feeling your horse and understanding how to communicate with them.  I been in group classes where instructors ask the class to close their eyes and ride.  All the students start freaking out, which does amuse me.  This exercise is so that riders can really focus on how their horse is moving.

I do manage things differently when working with my horse on the ground, but will not go into all that unless somebody really wants to know.  You need to know quite a bit about horses to understand ground work.

Diane lives in California and she has given me a lot of good advice over the years.  She works at the Association for the Blind or maybe it is the Society for the Blind, which is in Sacramento.

Nella