[SportsandRec] blind_cycling list archives web site

Patrick Johnson patrickjohnson1015 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 19:55:58 UTC 2020

Rod,

First I need a recumbent capable of holding my 6'4 280lbs frame comfortably.

I am looking for a bike and app where I can
* Track mileage
* Create or select cardio workouts
* Setup workouts simulating flat and mountainous routes.  Similar to
the ones my local club rides during the season.
* Provide an off-season and poor weather alternative to the recumbent
tandem riding my wife and I plan  on doing begining this Summer
* Lose a few pounds if possible

Here in Southwest Virginia I am a member of an active cycling club and
there are group rides and competative rides  almost every weekend from
early April through late October.  My goal is to get back into and
maintain the fitness level where I can enjoy these rides and not be
dead weight for my pilot.

The Sol LCR has  a weight capacity of 350 lbs, and reviews say it is
comfortable for larger riders.  It also has the heaviest fly wheel I
can find.  The downside new they are expensive.

The Nordic Trak recumbents have 350 lbs weight capacities and have
reviews describing them as comfortable for larger riders.  Their fly
wheels are slightly lighter.  New they are also less expensive.

The reviews on the Apple App store are about the same for both, with
no clear accessibility winner.

I also looked at the Diamond Fitness 920 SR.  The bike gets strong
reviews, has a heavy fly wheel, but lacks an IOS app.  In
conversations with customer service the bike's touch screen interface
is completely inaccessible to the blind with no plans on changing
anytime soon.

That's what I am looking for in my ride setup.

Patrick