[SportsandRec] Campsites and Hiking Trails

Peter pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Thu Jan 26 02:52:27 UTC 2023

Good evening everyone,

	It's wonderful to read a thread dealing with activities beside gym workouts, etc. Blind people have participated in many sporting and recreational activities for many years. The sad thing about this is that many agencies and schools for the blind failed to give their students and consumers opportunities to participate in these activities. In some cases the denial of such opportunities was very traumatic for some blind individuals. I was one such person who attended several schools for the blind and found the lack of high-impact opportunities that interested me to result in periods of prolonged boredom, frustration, and created situations when pared with PTSD resulted in awful replay eppisodes. Much of this could have been quashed if we were given a chance to try our hands at skydiving, scuba diving activities beyond the school's swimming pool, golf, and other activities which would have allowed me and others experiencing the same effects to have a much better and more enriching experience at a school for the blind or some other type of camp or rehabilitation program. I hope in time discussions concerning more sporting and recreational opportunities occur on this list.

Peter Donahue