[stylist] history of the cane

helene ryles dreamavdb at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 2 19:35:29 UTC 2008

Please let me know when you find out more of the history of the cane.
When was the white cane first used?  I guess blind people must have
used wooden sticks before the first metal one was invented but if
course the metal ones have much better advantage of fixing on tips. My
first cane has screw on tips. About 15 years ago. Now The canes have
hook on tips.  I also read that the NFB cane has grown longer in time
but maybe that's just common knowledge.

I'd be interested in cane history for my book. Myra's father was also
cambion (part human part deamon. My Cambion characters are not
necessarily bad. They are both good and bad like most humans. They
just have super powers. In fact those born to the female Deamon Parvi
are born blind but with superior healing abilities) and he lived to be
nearly 300 years old. He was a healer and witch and used a stick for
mobility but since it was such a long time ago the metal sticks would
not have been invented then.

Helene.