[stylist] Article on my hero Sabriye Tenberten, who developed Braille code for Tibetan language

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sun Dec 14 21:22:56 UTC 2008

Hi Friends,
Here's a recent article about my hero, Sabriye Tenberten, who developed
a Braille code for the Tibetan language and started the first ever
school for blind kids there.  Has anyone read "My Path Leads to Tibet"
her book about going to Tibet?  I'll start with the llink and then just
copy the text of the article.
Enjoy,
Donna Hill

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Society/10266912.html

Bringing a new vision to the world of blindness

By Siham Al Najami, Staff Reporter

Published: December 13, 2008, 23:45

Dubai: Founders of a developmental non-governmental organisation have
appealed for donations in Dubai through a touching documentary about
their mountain

expedition with their six visually impaired students from Tibet.

The film, Blindsight, was released in 2006 and since then has won many
awards for it depiction of the lives of six exceptional students in
Tibet, as they

joined world class blind mountain climber, Erik Weihenmayer, in an
attempt to summit Lhakpa Ri, the 23,000 foot peak which rises
spectacularly beside Mount

Everest.

The resulting, breathtaking threeweek journey is beyond anything any of
them could have predicted. It shows their courageous struggle to fight
their way

through the stigmas of society in order to become vibrant, active, and
independent individuals.

"It's not a usual mountain film with a big ending," Sabriye Tenberken,
founder of Braille Without Borders, told Gulf News on Friday during her
visit to

Dubai.

"It's an interesting film as it talks about what is success in life? Do
we really need to stand on top? Is this our summit or is this the summit
of the

sighted? These discussions are all filmed...the doubts and scepticism,
hope and team work is all shown."

Feeling different

Tenberken lost her sight at the age of 12 and growing up in Germany
pushed her to pursue a challenging task to do something with her life.
"I always wanted

to get out of Germany. It was my biggest wish. Germany had too many
limits," she said.

"I had no place to breathe, no place to create something. The problem is
if you're a little bit different and crazy and you're not very
conventional then

there is not much space for you especially if you're blind or
handicapped. Of course we have a lot of support for blind and
handicapped people.

"We can study and go to university but then 70 per cent of people with
university degrees in Germany are unemployed who are blind or
handicapped. This is

really bad because you have these really brilliant minds, you have great
thinkers and they are just sitting around and just getting their blind
money or

whatever to keep them silent," said Tenberken.

Superstitions

Her endless challenges to prove her ability to offer blind Tibetan
children with opportunities kept her going for 10 years of fund raising
for the programs

at their foundation in Tibet.

According to the founders, many Tibetans are unaware of the reasons for
blindness and base their superstitions about the condition on Buddhist
beliefs.

A central tenet of Buddhism, the main religion in Tibet, is the law of
karma, which holds that responsibility for unwelcome actions is borne by
the person

who commits them.

"The worst thing is they thought that blindness was a punishment for
something you had done in your past life," said Tenberken.

"Some people thought that blind people were possessed by demons."

She adds that some blind children never learn to walk because their
parents keep them tied to a bed, while others are locked in dark rooms
for years because

their parents are embarrassed by their blind offspring.

During her travels, Tenberken also met an eight-year-old blind boy who
was given the important task of herding yaks and goats by his village
chief. Unlike

other blind children who were ostracised, this boy was integrated into
village life. He inspired her to set up Braille Without Borders and is
part of the

Blindsight documentary.

Calling for donations

The founders completely rely on donations for their foundation in Tibet
and after establishing the Braille Without Borders training centre there
with its

unique concepts of empowering the blind to take their own projects in
their own hands, the organisation is now taking a next step: The
realisation of the

International Institute for Social Entrepreneurs (IISE) in Kerala, India.

In a one year course the IISE will train 25 to 40 participants who have
the right initiative, motivation and potential to establish and run
their own social

projects.

"We are calling out for donations all around the world to support these
projects," said co-founder Kronenberg.

Beginning: Achieving the impossible

Braille Without Borders was founded in 1998 by Sabriye Tenberken and
co-founded by her sighted Dutch partner, technician Paul Kronenberg who
gave up his

career for this life mission.

They both set up not only the school but also a system to teach the
blind to read and write using the world's first Braille system for
Tibetan script, which

Tenberken developed while studying Tibetan in Germany in the 1990s.

She made her first trip to Tibet in 1994 and returned in 1997 to meet
with government officials about setting up a non-governmental organisation.

Apart from learning to read Tibetan, the children also learn Chinese and
English as part of a curriculum that includes aikido and home science.

The blindsight documentary will be shown on Monday at Cinestar, Mall of
the Emirates at 9pm. All the proceeds will be given to Braille without
Borders and

local vision non-profit organisation Foresight.

--
For my bio & to hear clips from The Last Straw:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes

phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.padnfb.org

Database version: 5.11331