[stylist] cane technique in the snow?

James Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Wed Dec 17 06:47:02 UTC 2008

dear Robert,
today we have 3.5 inches of light fluffy snow on the ground, and as I
walked in it I realized that I use my cane differently.
obviously I'm still checking the surface coming up in front of
me.  my cane also serves to help locate the landmarks that stick up
out of the snow such as fences, signs, etc, helpful for
orientation.  and on occasion I push the tip down through the snow to
feel the ground surface, to see if I am still over the sidewalk.

I was also using the tip to check approaching surfaces cleared of
snow for icey slicks.
some of these extra snow applications I don't think I could do with a
rollerball cane.  I am pretty sure  I couldn't detect icey slicks vs
plain concrete with the rollerball.

what are your thoughts Robert?

jc

Jim Canaday M.A.