[stylist] cane technique in the snow?

James Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Thu Dec 18 01:39:46 UTC 2008

yes,
well written Robert.  I do try to feel for the margins of the
sidewalk, and sometimes sidewalks will be a little sunken too which
in a snowfall of less than five or six inches allows you to detect
the edges of the sidewalk too.  grab and stab, good term.  walking in
residential areas often means there are fences, stonewalls, trees,
sticking up  out of the snow.  so, in these kinds of circumstances, I
widen the arc so I can still get a good solid tap on a solid object
for sound and line orientation.

I've found if the snow is six or more inches, I'm probably better
walking as if it is sidewalkless travel and walking along the left
edge of the street, as long as the street isn't heavy traffic.
boy are you right about using your ears!  some sounds you probably
won't hear when there's a blanket of snow, and others you will only
be able to get when there's snow.  and yes, others will perhaps be
clearer and audible for a greater distance.  I love how the city
sounds under snow.

oh yes, the wonderful pedestrian barriers of snowplow making!  I find
the most frustrating part is maintaining a straightline orientation
while I am scaling them.

jc

Jim Canaday M.A.
Lawrence, KS