[stylist] A New Member

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Mon Dec 29 01:50:30 UTC 2008

Donna:

Do you know that there are a few hearing blind people who are also excellent
ASL interpreters?  In most cases they learned because they had a deaf
significant other.  But recently, a few blind signers learned from ASL
classes by use of relay interpreters who simply "mirror" the teacher's
signs, for them to follow with their hands.

A different sign language?  There are two other sign languages in North
America, one the Quebec sign language and the other the black sign language,
which is now almost gone.  Black signs came about in the deep South, where
whites and blacks were separated in everything.

Older ASL is a bit different than today's ASL, but signers of each can
understand the other readily.

John