[stylist] Blind and segragation

The Crowd the_crowd at cox.net
Mon Dec 29 03:43:17 UTC 2008

Here is a big ol can of worms!

I have the opinion that blind children, at least for several years in their
schooling should go to schools with other blind children. There they can
learn their blind skills.

Braille literacy would go back up, there would be confidence in mobility
from the very beginning, home economics, typing, research, it would be a
whole balanced thing, rather then trying to learn blind skills in a school
for sighted people.

yeah, yeah, I know, main stream makes them like everyone else, which is a
load full, if you ask me. I've been in the public schools and I went to a
school for the blind and it gave me the chance to do things I wouldn't do in
public  schools. I was on the track team, cheer leading, swimming, bowling
teams. I learned how to cook, cut wood, shop, read Braille, type, we did
plays, competed against other blind schools and sighted schools in pros and
chorus. Instead they teach you a few fundimental things in public school, so
you don't accidently kill yourself out in the parking lot, so you can do
school work, but the skills that kids learned in those schools for the blind
are lost.

I find it sad that there are no more track teams, little five, wrestling and
cheer leading multi school competitions.

Blind children are not sighted children. They need to  be with their peers,
learn from one another, experience things among themselves. Then after they
have those things in place, go check out the public schools. That is my
opinion.

I know many people think that blindness is just a nucience, but it is a lot
more then that when you don't have the skills in place or the comarodery you
need to understand it. I went many years being ashamed of being blind and it
hurts people.

Atty

Life is short ...forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly,
laugh uncontrollably...
and never regret anything that made you smile

"Qui docet, discit."
"He who teaches, learns"

I have learned that people will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou