[stylist] Educating the deaf and the blind

LoriStay at aol.com LoriStay at aol.com
Tue Dec 30 04:26:48 UTC 2008

In a message dated 12/29/08 3:02:40 AM, johnlee at clarktouch.com writes:

> Gee, I better stop now!  I have many other points to make, but maybe I just
> should go and write a book!

What a good idea!
We are friends with a deaf "oral" couple, who lip read well.   But I didn't
realize at first they were deaf.   Once, I was pounding on the door to let Gail
know I was there.   I could see her in the house, and she seemed totally
oblivious.   But finally, she realized i was there.   She came out and I said,
"Are you deaf or something?"   Then I suddenly realized, of course she was!   If
she had let me know before this, I wouldn't have been so embarrassed.

She and her family came to a Seder at our house one Passover, and the first
thing I noticed is that my husband tended to put his hand over his mouth when
he talked!   I think he's stopped that.   I pointed it out to him at the time.
 It's possible he forgot they were deaf.

I've always been an advocate of teaching deaf children sign at at early age.
 Once they have a basic understanding of language, everything else follows,
even lip reading, if they want that.   Deaf children are mainstreamed in our
local schools, something I've always felt was detrimental to them.   But they
have to deal with parental desires.

My friend Christine, who is blind, went to our local school sytem, and felt
very much put upon.   So when she had children, a boy and a girl, both blind,
she made sure the school understood what they needed, including mobility and
braille, and acceptance.   Both kids are sharp as tacks, but it certainly helps
that their parents know what they need.
Lori