[stylist] Blind and segregation

LoriStay at aol.com LoriStay at aol.com
Wed Dec 31 19:41:09 UTC 2008

What has the NFB done for students?   If I miss something, kindly fill in for
me!
1. Made sure Braille is the default reading system for blind children.
2. Negotiated with publishers, and later with legislators to get textbooks
available in electronic format in a timely manner so blind students could keep
up with their peers.
3. Pushed the same kind of legislation into law for college students.
4. Gone to court any number of times to be sure a student would be taught
braille when the schools tried to say he or she didn't need it.
5.   Established parents divisions so that parents could be made aware of
their blind children's needs from an early age.
6.   Encouraged the use of the white cane for small children so they would
not have to learn how to get to the corner when they reached 18.
7.   Insisted that blind children ought to be held to the same standards as
sighted children, with age appropriate goals.

I'm sure there is more.
Lori