[stylist] New Member Intro

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sat Nov 1 20:44:11 UTC 2008

Hi fellow NFB writers,

I just joined the list and thought I'd introduce myself.  I'm Donna
Hill, and  I live in the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania on seventeen
acres with my hubby, Rich, and my guide dog, Hunter.  My interest in
writing is many-fold.  Over the years I have written everything from
haiku and short stories to newspaper articles and publicity brochures.

Currently, in addition to writing whatever strikes my fancy, I am
working on a novel -- a fantacy; I'm just starting Chapter 28.   I spend
most of my time doing publicity for the Performing Arts Division (PAD)
of NFB.  I am a semi-retired folk singer/songwriter by profession.

Excluding everything that I've had published without any payment, I've
only had two successes with my writing and neither article was
published.  Since one just happened, I'll tell you about it.  I promise
to be less verbose after this initial post.

As part of my work for PAD, I subscribe to a free daily e mail called
HARO (Help a Reporter Out).  Reporters post queries and publicists pitch
stories to those that seem like a match.  Peter Shankman, the guy who
runs it, is a PR guy and people apparently send him loads of samples.
He occasionally has a contest to give some of it away.  In honor of
Breast Cancer Awareness month, he asked for stories about breast
cancer.  I sent him my first person account "Butterflies & Me: the
healing touch"  which I have been trying to market for several years.  I
won first prize!  My prize is a leather computer tote bag.  Now, I'll
just have to go buy that laptop I've been dreaming of.

FYI, the other "success" was an article on inclusion of people with
disabilities in church communities.  The Lutheran magazine bought it,
but never published it.

Anyway, Hi everyone.  I think some of you might know me from the
Journalists or Performing arts lists.  If anyone is interested in HARO,
here's the link:
www.helpareporter.com

Cheers,
Donna Hill

--
For my bio & to hear clips from The Last Straw:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes

phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.padnfb.org

Database version: 5.11030e
http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor/