[stylist] writing about blindness

Judith Bron jbron at optonline.net
Tue Nov 11 14:51:29 UTC 2008

I'm not in denial nor do I ignore the fact that I do have a handicap that I have to overcome on a daily basis.  However, when I am writing I seem to go into a different world.  I write about people who are ill, some of my characters die and others fall into the clutches of bad people.  If I say that blindness bores me, you might come out with an arms length of causes for my symptoms.  However, a person does not necessarily want to write about those things they live with and rise above on a daily basis.  I am fat.  Writing about being fat falls under the same category as blind.  Live with it.  Fight against it as much as possible, but it shouldn't dominate every facet of your life.  Again, you may think I'm in some kind of denial, but I'm not.  I won't drive a car into a crowd, try sewing a garment while it is on the back of my would be victim and I won't pretend to read the paper when I can't even make out one picture in the blasted thing.  Judith