[stylist] Writing question

Angela fowler fowlers at syix.com
Thu Nov 13 00:43:41 UTC 2008

Thanks, Fred, I just bookmarked it.

-----Original Message-----
From: stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Fred Wurtzel
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:39 AM
To: 'NFBnet Writer's Division Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [stylist] Writing question

Hi,

Here is the link.

http://www.grammarbook.com/numbers/numbers.asp

-----Original Message-----
From: stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Donna Hill
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:23 AM
To: NFBnet Writer's Division Mailing List

Fred,
Awesome!  Thanks for putting this together.  It's going directly to my Words
& Usage folder.  What is the source.  By the way, I often make the mistake
of using the apostrophe before the s in numeral representations of decades.
Part of the problem for me is that Jaws says the incorrect '80's in a more
natural pronunciation than the correct '80s.  Also, regarding using noon and
midnight ... block quote

Rule 14.
Use noon and midnight rather than 12:00 A.M. or 12:00 P.M.

block quote end
Since everything else is so precise, one might assume that noon corresponds
to 12 A.M Noon is P.M.
Donna

--
For my bio & to hear clips from The Last Straw:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes

phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.padnfb.org

Fred Wurtzel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There are rules for numbers.  Here they are.  I hope this is helpful.
>
> Warmest Regards,
>
> Fred
>
> Writing Numbers
> Rule 1.
> Spell out single-digit whole numbers. Use numerals for numbers greater
than
> nine.
> Correct Examples:
> I want five copies.
> I want 10 copies.
> Rule 2.
> Be consistent within a category. For example, if you choose numerals
because
> one
> of the numbers is greater than
> nine
> , use numerals for all numbers in that category. If you choose to
> spell
out
> numbers
> because one of the numbers is a single digit, spell out all numbers in
that
> category.
> If you have numbers in different categories, use numerals for one
> category and spell out the other.
> Correct Examples:
> My 10 cats fought with their 2 cats.
> My ten cats fought with their two cats.
> Given the budget constraints, if all 30 history students attend the
> four plays, then the 7 math students will be able to attend only two
> plays.
>  (Students
>  are represented with figures;
> plays are represented with words.)
> Incorrect Example:
> I asked for five pencils, not 50.
> Rule 3.
> Always spell out simple fractions and use hyphens with them.
> Examples:
> One-half of the pies have been eaten.
> A two-thirds majority is required for that bill to pass in Congress.
> Rule 4.
> A mixed fraction can be expressed in figures unless it is the first
> word
of
> [...]
> decimal point, use a comma where the comma would appear in the figure
> format. Use the word and only where the decimal point appears in the
> figure format.
> Examples:
> $15,768.13: Fifteen thousand, seven hundred sixty-eight dollars and
thirteen
> cents
> $1054.21: One thousand fifty-four dollars and twenty-one cents
> Note:
> The comma is now commonly omitted in four-digit whole numbers.
> Rule 8.
> The following examples apply when using dates:
> Examples:
> The meeting is scheduled for June 30.
> The meeting is scheduled for the 30th of June.
> We have had tricks played on us on April 1.
> The 1st of April puts some people on edge.
> Rule 9.
> When expressing decades, you may spell them out and lowercase them.
> Example:
> During the eighties and nineties, the U.S. economy grew.
> Rule 10.
> If you wish to express decades using incomplete numerals, put an
apostrophe
> before
> the incomplete numeral but not between the year and the s.
> Correct:
> During the '80s and '90s, the U.S. economy grew.
> Incorrect:
> During the '80's and '90's, the U.S. economy grew.
> Rule 11.
> You may also express decades in complete numerals. Again, don't use an
> apostrophe between the year and the s.
> Example:
> During the 1980s and 1990s, the U.S. economy grew.
> Rule 12.
> Normally, spell out the time of day in text even with half and quarter
> hours. With o'clock, the number is always spelled out.
> Examples:
> She gets up at four thirty before the baby wakes up.
> The baby wakes up at five o'clock in the morning.
> Rule 13.
> Use numerals with the time of day when exact times are being
> emphasized or when using A.M. or P.M.
> Examples:
> Monib's flight leaves at 6:22 A.M.
> Please arrive by 12:30 sharp.
> She had a 7:00 P.M. deadline.
> Rule 14.
> Use noon and midnight rather than 12:00 A.M. or 12:00 P.M.
> Rule 15.
> Hyphenate all compound numbers from twenty-one through ninety-nine.
> Examples:
> Forty-three people were injured in the train wreck.
> Twenty-three of them were hospitalized.
> Rule 16.
> Write out a number if it begins a sentence.
> Examples:
> Twenty-nine people won an award for helping their communities.
> That 29 people won an award for helping their communities was fantastic!
> OR
> That twenty-nine people won an award for helping their communities was

E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (6.0.0.386) Database version:
5.11110 http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/f.wurtzel%40comcast
.net

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.