[stylist] Thoughts on writing and question about blind writer

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sun Nov 23 22:29:08 UTC 2008

Hi Folks,

Has anyone ever heard of or read the works of the blind Irish woman
Frances Brown (1816 -79? I recently finished reading "The Oxford Book of
Modern Fairy Tales" edited by Alison Lurie. There were brief bios of the
authors included at the back. Hers said she was blind as an infant and
eventually supported herself and her sister as a writer. She wrote
children's stories and poetry mostly and the story included in this book
was called "Fairy Foot."

Also, I have a book on writing to recommend. It's "Fiction Writer’s
Workshop" (not sure if there's a "The" in the title), by Josip
Novakovich, published by Story Press. I read it a couple of years ago
and I found it helpful and inspireing. It had very interesting
exercises, most of which I actually did -- unusual for me. I borrowed it
as a recorded book from NLS, and I liked the reader.

Donna Hill-read.

--
For my bio & to hear clips from The Last Straw:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes

phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.padnfb.org

Database version: 5.11180